About The Rhapsody
One of Ohio’s most beautiful and historic downtown districts, the Nelsonville Public Square is centered around a beautiful fountain that was built in 1904. The Public Square is home to a thriving collection of shops, galleries and restaurants and offers a rich taste of Athens County’s large Appalachian artist community. Join the staff at Rhapsody Music & Dining on Nelsonville’s historic Public Square. Creative cuisine by award-winning chefs gives a fresh flavor to old favorites on the Appalachian farm-to-table menu. A full bar, an extensive wine selection and live music most Friday and Saturday evenings complete the Rhapsody experience. Rhapsody is run by the Hospitality & Culinary Professionals of Tomorrow from Hocking College and by Certified Master Chef Alfonso Constrisciani.
Executive Director / Master Chef
Culinary Operations and Promotions
Alfonso Contrisciani shares his Master Chef status with only 66 others in the United States. He currently serves as Executive Director of Culinary operations at Hocking College. He is the anchor tenant and manager of the Perry County Community Kitchen and Farm Store. He owns Plate Farm to Table Catering in Southeast Ohio and is Managing Director of Rhapsody Restaurant, Hocking College’s practicum restaurant. He also owns Oliver Farms, a local sustainable food and manufacturing company in Thornville, Ohio.
In 2004, Alfonso was named "Restaurateur of the Year" by the International Food and Beverage Forum. He has garnered over 75 National and International awards including 36 Gold medals as a member of Team USA in the International Culinary Olympics (1992, 1996, 2000), and has held numerous Vice President and Director positions in some of the countries leading hotels, restaurants, universities and food service companies.
As Vice President of Culinary Development for Centerplate, Alfonso oversaw several large convention centers in the US and orchestrated multiple presidential dinners in Washington DC including President Obama's Inaugural Ball. Alfonso is a member of OEFFA, the American Culinary Federation, World Master Chef Societies, Global Master Chef Society and the International Food and Beverage Forum.
Awards and Honors
- Whisper to a Roar Award, ACF Chefs of Columbus Chapter, March, 2014
- Best New Restaurant of 2013, Plate, Columbus Monthly, Article, January, 2014
- Four Star Restaurant Rating, Plate, Columbus Monthly Magazine, November, 2013
- Four Star Restaurant Rating, Plate, Columbus Dispatch, July, 2013
- Restaurateur of the Year, International Food & Beverage Forum Award
- Culinarian of the Year Award, the Delaware Valley Chef's Association
- James Beard Foundation, Rising Star of America Cuisine, The James Beard House
- Consulting Chef to Philadelphia's Regional Performing Arts Center with Charlie Trotter
- Presidential Medallion, American Culinary Federation, National Convention
- Johnson & Wales University - The Professional Development Award, 95/96
- Johnson & Wales University - Faculty Special Achievement Award, Student Advisory Work
- Johnson & Wales University - Distinguished Visiting Chef – Norfolk, Va.
- Johnson & Wales University - Distinguished Visiting Chef, Providence, RI
- The Medal of the French Republic
- The Diplome De Maitrise “Le Club Gastronomique Prosper Montagne”
- Professional Chef's Association of South Jersey "Chef of the Year" Award
- The Hotel Olympia Gold Medal of British Chefs Society
- The Irish Crystal Chef Award
- London’s Guild of Chefs, Five Star Trophy
Food and Beverage Director
Jennifer Yanity is a lifelong resident of Athens County and has worked at Hocking College for over 20 years. She began her career in the service industry as a teenager and has been working hard ever since. The majority of her career was spent working for locally renowned restaurateur, the late Stephen Messina, together providing quality food and service to the Athens area for over 30 years.
Jen’s passion for Hocking College is evident in her commitment to student life and academics, assisting with the awarding winning Hospitality Department, along with other various departments and programs at the College. As the new Director of Food and Beverage, she is excited by the opportunities that Dining Services will offer, as well as the soon-to-be-open Hocking College Workforce Development Training and Conference Center. Additionally, Jen manages the Catering Department, known for its quality and affordability.
If you are interested in learning more about Rhapsody Restaurant or the catering services offered through Hocking College, please contact Jen at (740) 753-7132.
"Nothing like it anywhere else in Southeast Ohio. The food was amazing, served hot, fresh ingredients, and with a smile. I have a degree in culinary arts and have been in the restaurant business for over 15 years. This is an amazing find in the area and is a must try if you are looking for great food at a great price. We were there when Chef Alfonzo, one of 66 Certified Master Chefs in the US, was working. It isn't everyday that you get to eat food prepared by the hands of one of the top 10 chefs in the World!"- Matthew G., Google Maps Reviews
"In the heart of Nelsonville, you will find Rhapsody's in the town square. It is a culinary school restaurant run by Master Chef Alphonso. Live music, great food and fantastic people! Joshua was amazing and Dana is a beverage master. I can't recommend this restaurant enough and will certainly visit it again the next time I'm in town. "- Gerry B., TripAdvisor Reviews